Methods behind this 85mm PCE image

Nikon d810
Nikkor 85 mm tilt + shift PCE lens
stitched images shifted at 30º increments

Photo-2017-01-4-14-21.jpg

Abandoned stone house created with my Nikkor 85 mm PCE lens. Images Shifted at 30° intervals for increased angle of view


To see or purchase the image

The Method and Reasoning:
With a full frame camera and an 85 mm focal length, Standing where I did would present a few problems:
1. I had to angle my camera upward to see the top of the building and the trees. ... Well, as I look upward the camera's plane rotates backward. The building is no longer parallel to the sensor plane and thus will look as though its falling over backwards in the frame. This is called convergence or the keystone effect.
You know how you see railroad tracks seemingly disappear into the distance? its that effect .. the lines converge the further from the viewer that they are. The same happens with a vertical subject .. the further the top of the building is from the bottom as the camera is rotated upward, the more it looks like its falling backward.

2. I couldn't fit the whole building into my frame.
Sure, I could have used a wide angle lens but I really liked the perspective of my longer 85 mm lens for this 'story'. The longer lens made the trees inside and the window in the backside middle look similar in size relative to the building. The trees inside were an integral part of this story for me and as important as the stone face. A wider angle would exaggerate my near to far perspective, creating dominance of the stone face building and making the inside trees and back inside window less prominent, as they would be rendered more 'distant' in the frame.

So, what did I do?
I did use my 85 mm lens (on a full frame d810 body) and I stood so that my perspective would give me a tree in each window. My 85 mm lens is a tilt + shift lens so I utilized the shift mechanism to create the image. Most people think to use the shift in either an up and down or side to side way only. This image would still not have fit into what you see here. Instead, I rotated my shifting in 30º intervals, creating more of a squarish image (and huge file size) when I stitched it together in post processing.
This image is therefore made from images starting at no shift, to upward at (0, 30, 60, 90, 270, 300)º and then downward shift starting at 180 and shifting one way and the other to (120, 150, 210, and 240)º.
This method with this lens gave me the perspective I wanted, prevented converging lines from standing close, and it allowed me to get the entire subject into my image. ..


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Subscribe to my Blog

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Archives